Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Humphreys Peak - Failed summit attempt

Humphreys Peak
Elevation: 12,633 ft. (only reached to 11,950 ft.)
Miles: 7.0 miles
Location: Arizona, United States

San Francisco Peaks with Humphreys Peak at the center

Trailhead at 9,282 ft.

Not the best trail conditions I had imagined

Humphreys Peak is the highest mountain in Arizona and resides in Coconino County, in the northern part of the state. It is the 26th most prominent mountain in the lower 48 states, rising over 6,000 feet. Humphreys Peak and the greater San Francisco Mountain range is part of the Kachina Peaks Wilderness Area, which includes over 18,000 acres.


Looking up after reaching the saddle




It was a cold morning drive from the hotel that I spent the night on near the Grand Canyon on my to the San Francisco Peak Mountain range, Humphreys Peak being my target. After arriving at the trailhead (Humphreys trail) which starts at the Arizona Snow Bowl, I ensured I bought all necessary warmers (hand and feet). I had brought the wrong size boots which I will end up regretting. I started the hike with a beautiful clear snowy morning looking out towards the Ski resort and Humphreys Peak standing tall in the background. 

Following the trail was more difficult then I thought as it was covered in snow. I followed the ski lift until reaching an entrance at the tree line, worked my way following a snowy path as much as I could without getting lost. Eventually coming across a sign and logbook which reassured me that I was on the right path. The reason hikers are encouraged to sign in the logbook is in case hikers are lost or stranded and the information from the logbook will further assist in the recovery of any hikers. After signing in, I continued my way towards the snowy trail. At times, it was difficult to follow a solid path along the snow but I  knew that going up was the only way to reach the summit.

After reaching the saddle, the going got tough. The high elevation begin to take a toll on my body. I kept taking frequent breaks to catch my breath as every step taken seemed to exhort more energy out of me.The pace was moderately slow as the snow was soft which enabled me to sink into waist deep snow every other step.



During my ascent, I met two hikers and decided to join them. Along the way, we came across to what seemed like torn parts of a small airplane. We snapped a few photos and moved on. We made frequent breaks to hydrate and eat some snacks. There was ice in some parts of the slope in which we used ropes to further assist us on staying together and some cheap crampons to help get through the ice. At this point we could see the summit, however, the sun was setting quickly and we decided that an attempt to reach the summit would leave us stranded at night on the mountain. We had to turn back.


Part of an airplane wing


The two hikers I met. Notice the steepness of the climb

View of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon






No comments:

Post a Comment